At CSU, Canvas academic courses are set to start with the “Basic Letter Grade 90/80/70/60 Scheme” with these values:
- The Grading Scheme that is set on each Course’s “Settings” page is only used to convert the numeric % value of the “Total score” into a “Total letter grade”.
- CSU allows these Final Grades: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F.
- CSU does not provide, nor recommend, any numeric grade ranges or values; instructors are free to choose the grading values for each of their classes.
- How to create a grading scheme in Canvas and add it to a course (Canvas Guide)
- Note: After creating a grading scheme at the course level, to make it active, it must be selected in the “View/Edit Grading Scheme” screen, then saved on the Course Details page.
- Best practice: If instructors choose to display assignments or gradable discussions as “Letter Grade” display, instructors should also choose a Grading Scheme for that assignment/discussion that does not use C-, D+, D-.
- Export Final Grades from Canvas for ARIESweb Grade Entry Submission